Industry Cumberland Presbyterian Church
This congregation was organized at the house of Thomas Adkisson, November 3, 1843, with the following members: Nathan Compton, Sarah Compton, John Compton, Sarah Adkisson, William C. McKamy, Mrs. O. H. McKamy, Jane P. McKamy, Elizabeth McKamy, John McKamy, Margaret Campbell, Tom Pollock, Elizabeth Osborn, A. J. Osborn, Stephen Cockerham, Rachel Cockerham, Martha Bridges, Walter Mean, Joseph Peck, Martha M. Berry, and A. H. Berry. Nathan Campbell was then elected elder. The congregation was first named Grindstone. Shortly after the organization, meetings were held in S. Cockerham's house. After this the camp grounds were used, which were on the farm now owned by Washington Vail. In 1845, a union church house was erected, which, at present stands unoccupied one mile and a half east of Industry. This building was used until the one occupied at present was erected. This structure is 36x51 feet in dimensions, and was built in 1857, at a cost of $2,500. It is located on the northeast corner of Hickory and Downing streets. This edifice was dedicated in 1859. The first occupant of the pulpit was Rev. John Carter. The trustees at that time were: T. J. Pennington, Dr. B. A. Duncan, J. C. Bridges, U. Begthol, and M. Baymiller.
Source: The History of McDonough County, together with sketches of the towns, villages and townships, educational, civil, military and political history; portraits of prominent individuals, and biographies of the representative citizens, 1885, page 445. Transcribed by Karl A. Petersen