Good Hope Cumberland Presbyterian Church
The society bearing this name was organized on the 28th day of April, 1838, at the house of Levi Hamilton, on section 5, Macomb township, by Revs. Peter Downey and Cyrus Haynes, and Elder John McCord, who constituted the committee of Rushville conference, appointed for that purpose. Meetings were held at the house of Mr. Hamilton for several years, until a church building was erected, not far from his house, about 2 1/2 miles southeast of Good Hope. It was then known as Walnut Grove church. The original members were Cyrus Haynes, Mahala Haynes, A. H. Berry, M. M. Berry, Michael Vincent, Levi Hamilton, Malinda Hamilton, Mary Stapp, J. B. Stapp, Corger Creel, Charles Creel, Parthena Creel, John Campbell and wife, Durham and Mary Creel. For about twenty years its ministers served as stated supplies. Prominent among these were Rev. Cyrus Haynes, Peter Downey, Rev. Wier, William S. Campbell, E. Knowles, T. K. Roach and J. W. Stapp. In 1859, Rev. J. W. Carter was installed pastor, and served for nine years. Following him were T. S. McClure, Rev. Richardson, J. H. Morgan, J. D. Foster. The first church building erected was burnt down, probably the work of an incendiary. Another structure was erected on the same site. This building was removed to Good Hope in 1875. Rev. J. Riley, of Danvers, was the last minister of the gospel who officiated here. At present the congregation has no preacher. There are about 50 members enrolled on the church books. There is a Sunday school of about 60 scholars, of which Andrew Allison is superintendent. The value of church property is about $3,500.
Source: The History of McDonough County, together with sketches of the towns, villages and townships, educational, civil, military and political history; portraits of prominent individuals, and biographies of the representative citizens, 1885, pages 445-446. Transcribed by Karl A. Petersen
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright