Bushnell Reformed Church
This church was organized, October 19, 1856, by a committee, consisting of Rev. A. Wilson and S. B. Ayers. The original members were Frederick Cruser, Thomas Plotts and wife, Aaron Sperling, and D. M. Wyckoff. The church edifice was erected in 1860 or '61, and dedicated May 1, 1861. It is a good frame building, and is on the corner of Church and Crafford streets. It is valued at $5,000, and the parsonage at $1,6000. The first meetings of the society were held in a school house, and afterward in a carpenter shop, which was purchased and fitted up as a chapel. The present resident membership is 104. The first consistory was composed of Elders John Wyckoff, Thomas Plotts, and Frederick K. Cruser; Deacons D. M. Wyckoff, and Aaron Sperling. The church has lately been newly papered, painted, etc., and is now one of the neatest in the place. It also contains one of the best choirs in the county.
Source: The History of McDonough County, together with sketches of the towns, villages and townships, educational, civil, military and political history; portraits of prominent individuals, and biographies of the representative citizens, 1885, pages 489-490. Transcribed by Karl A. Petersen
McDonough County ILGenWeb Copyright