Congregational Church, Macomb
The Congregational church, of Macomb, was organized in 1858, with the following original members: Hector McLean and wife, Harvey Chase, J. P. McCandless and wife, James L. Anderson and wife, Lorenzo Clisby and wife, Z. T. Trull, Mrs. Mary Bartleson, Thomas Gilmore and wife, Mary Smith, John McLean and wife, Isabella McLean, Reid and family, and Mrs. S. Beardsley. From 1863 to 1867 no regular pastor was employed, and no religious advancement was made. In 1867 the Rev. G. L Granger was called as pastor, and spent two years, when the Rev. Lemuel Jones was called to the pastorate. Rev. Z. K Hawley was the first pastor. In 1872 and 1873, the congregation erected a neat church edifice on Carroll street, east of Randolph street, at a cost of $6,500. After Lemuel Jones, the following served as pastors: Ira Norris, A. R. Dodd, H. M. Burr, and H. M. Perkins. In November, 1883, the society, which consisted of about 70 members, united for one year with the Baptist church. There has been no pastor of the church since that time and about a year since, the building was leased to the Episcopal society for a term of three years. No services are held at present, although the society has not disbanded, but still sustain their officers. The first ofiicers of the church were Hector McLean, James L. Anderson and Lorenzo Clisby, deacons; Lorenzo Clisby, clerk.
Congregational Church, Prairie City
The First Congregational church, of Prairie City, was organized at Virgil, Fulton county, October 1, 1842. The Rev. Levi Spencer, who was laboring at Canton, had held a series of meetings at this place, and his conversions formed a nucleus out of which this congregation was organized, and consisted of the following 11 members: Ezra D. Smith, Cynthia Smith, A. G. Andrews, Frederick R. Andrews, George S. Smith, Almon Tainter, Levi Curtis, Nancy Smith, Sarah Schofield, Laura Gorham and Chloe Andrews. This church was dependant on the Home Missionary society until November 15, 1845; then for ten years it received aid from the Knox presbytery. After that, and until 1868, aid came from the Home Missionary society. The church was removed to Prairie City, October 9, 1858, and those called to labor with the church since as pastors, were Revs. Samuel Dilley, B. F. Worrell, A. Y. Drake, L. Jones, and H. B. Swift. Initiatory steps were taken October 5, 1860, toward erecting a house of worship. The building was completed and dedicated September 27, 1865. It is a good, substantial frame building, costing $3,000. The present membership is about 35.
Source: The History of McDonough County, together with sketches of the towns, villages and townships, educational, civil, military and political history; portraits of prominent individuals, and biographies of the representative citizens, 1885, page 482. Transcribed by Karl A. Petersen